Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Shortbread...


A few years back my sister, Sandie, was visiting from Hawaii.  In our travels around Vermont she came upon these cookies, well, not actually these cookies.  She paid $6 for a package of 6 cookies.  YIKES! I got to taste them and boy were they good.

I never buy cookies especially at that price so I decided to see if I could replicate them.  This recipe is what I came up with and they are very close if not exact.  See what you think:

Oatmeal Shortbread


1 Cup of butter
½ Cup brown sugar (packed)
1 Tsp. Vanilla
1 Cup all-purpose flour
½ Tsp. Soda
2 Cups Bob’s Red Mill Oats

Mix butter, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy. Measure flour by dipping method. Blend flour, soda, and oats; stir into butter mixture.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough ¼ inch thick on lightly floured board. Cut in squares. Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 10 minutes.

I would normally chill shortbread dough for an hour but in this case, because of the oats, chilling will make it difficult to roll and cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment